multi-unit apartment building

Section 8 Information for Property Owners and Managers

The Section 8 Rental Process

The Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program provides rental subsidies to lower-income families that meet federally established income guidelines. Program participants find rental housing and use the vouchers they receive from the Grand Rapids Housing Commission (GRHC) to help pay the rent. The program is funded by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD).

When a family finds a suitable rental unit and the property owner agrees to participate in the Section 8 program, the family submits the following to the GRHC:

After the GRHC receives the Request for Tenancy Approval and the proposed lease, our staff inspects the rental unit to ensure that it meets HUD Housing Quality Standards. There is no charge to the property owner or tenant for this inspection.

If the GRHC approves the unit and the lease, we will notify the family and the property owner, and we will furnish a HUD Housing Assistance Payments (HAP) contract to the owner. The owner must sign the HAP contract and return it to the GRHC.

Property Owner Responsibilities

Rental property owners who participate in the GRHC’s Section 8 program must...

Per federal requirements, property rented to Section 8 tenants is reinspected annually by the GRHC.

It is illegal for property owners to discriminate based on prospective tenants’ age, race, sex, religion, disability or national origin. It is also illegal to deny tenancy based on the fact that a household has a Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher subsidy.

For more information about Section 8:
U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development

Rental Property Owner Portal

The GRHC now offers a secure online portal that makes it easy for property owners participating in our Section 8 Program to view information about their Section 8 rental units, including payment details and information related to unit inspections.

Section 8 Forms for Property Owners and Managers

Listing Section 8 Rental Property

The Michigan State Housing Development Authority (MSHDA) offers a service that lets property owners list Section 8 rental units free of charge in a searchable database. To list your property, click Michigan Housing Locator.

*DISCLAIMER: The Housing Commission is pleased to offer the convenience of links to organizations that provide a variety of housing and emergency services. Please note that the linked sites are external to the GRHC’s website. The GRHC cannot attest to the accuracy of information provided by linked sites. The GRHC disclaims all responsibility for the contents and results provided through linked websites.