For Families on the Waiting List
We are currently serving households on the waiting list established in 2017.
It is each applicant’s responsibility to notify the GRHC of any change of address—applicants are informed by U.S. Mail when their name reaches the top of the waiting list. Information can be updated online via a secure Application Update Form. To update an application by U.S. Mail, please download a printable update form to get the necessary paperwork.
How the Section 8 Program Works
Once your family’s name has reached the top of the Section 8 waiting list...
- You will be invited to an orientation session that will confirm your program eligibility and level of assistance. Families generally contribute 30 percent of their total adjusted monthly household income toward rent; the maximum a family can contribute is 40 percent of total adjusted income.
- Your family will be issued a voucher and can begin looking for rental housing within Kent County. The voucher will be valid for 60 days.
- Your family can choose to stay in your current residence if it meets program requirements, or you can rent a different unit from a property owner who participates in the Section 8 program.
- The apartment or house you choose will be inspected by GRHC staff to ensure that it meets HUD’s Housing Quality Standards.
- Once any necessary repairs have been made and the housing you have selected passes inspection, you will submit a signed lease to your GRHC Section 8 Coordinator for approval.
- Your family will pay any required security deposit; under Michigan law, this cannot exceed one and one-half month’s rent.
- You will pay your portion of the rent to the landlord each month. The GRHC will send Housing Assistance Payments—the difference between what you pay and the actual rent—directly to your landlord.
- Each year, your family’s eligibility for assistance will be reconfirmed and your rental unit will be reinspected.
For Those Who Currently Have a Section 8 Voucher
Direct Deposit Now Available
The GRHC now offers direct deposit of Utility Assistance Payments! Current Section 8 clients can click Direct Deposit to reach the secure online form that makes this convenience possible. Simply complete and submit the form, attaching an electronic copy of your voided check, and we will deposit your Utility Assistance Payment directly into your checking or savings account each month. Download Direct Deposit Form to get a PDF version of the form.
Search for Rental Property
Section 8 rental unit listings are now searchable on the Michigan State Housing Development Authority (MSHDA) website. Click Michigan Housing Locator to start your apartment search.
*DISCLAIMER: The Housing Commission is pleased to offer the convenience of links to organizations that provide a variety of housing and emergency services. Please note that the linked sites are external to the GRHC’s website. The GRHC cannot attest to the accuracy of information provided by linked sites. The GRHC disclaims all responsibility for the contents and results provided through linked websites.
Transfer a Section 8 Voucher
The Section 8 Program allows a household to transfer its voucher to another city. The first step in this process is to contact your GRHC Section 8 Coordinator. Download How to Transfer to get an overview of the voucher transfer process.
Participants in the GRHC’s Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program are responsible for:
- Providing the GRHC with complete and accurate information about family composition, income and assets.
- Promptly notifying the GRHC of any changes in family composition, income or assets.
- Locating rental housing within Kent County that meets the program quality and cost standards.
- Providing complete information about rental agreements with the rental property owner. The terms of a lease cannot be changed without the GRHC’s written acknowledgement.
- Complying with all program and lease requirements, including paying the family’s portion of the rent on time, informing the GRHC in advance of any move to a new rental unit, and obtaining preapproval of the new unit.