Campau Commons Apartments duplexes line Antoine Street

Frequently Asked Questions

Reading FAQs can be a fast way to find answers to some of your questions about Grand Rapids Housing Commission programs. If you don’t find the information you need, please contact us.

General Questions

Questions about GRHC-Managed Family and Retirement Developments

How do I apply for housing assistance?
To apply for housing through the Grand Rapids Housing Commission Low-Income Public Housing or Project-Based Programs, please complete and submit our online Preliminary Application.

The GRHC is not currently accepting new applicants to our Section 8 program.

I am homeless or need immediate housing assistance. How do I apply for emergency housing?
The GRHC administers Hope Community, a rapid re-housing program that serves homeless women and their children, however, we are not primarily an emergency housing provider. To get information about emergency housing resources, please contact United Way 2-1-1.

I currently live outside of the Grand Rapids area. Can I still apply for housing?
Yes, however, please be aware that our agency-administered family and retirement housing developments are required to serve households currently living within the City of Grand Rapids before we can serve those applying from outside of our area.

The GRHC is not currently accepting new applicants to our Section 8 program.

How do I apply for employment with the Grand Rapids Housing Commission?
We accept employment applications only when we have an open position. Employment opportunities are advertised in local media and on our website—please check the Employment page of our website for updates.

How do I report a housing code violation or file a complaint about my rental housing?
The Grand Rapids Housing Commission administers affordable housing programs for low-income families and is not a primary agency for City code enforcement.

If you are a GRHC Section 8 client, please contact your Section 8 Coordinator. If you rent at a GRHC-administered housing development, please contact your GRHC Housing Management staff.

Renters who do not participate in GRHC housing programs should report possible housing code violations to the City of Grand Rapids Code Compliance Division.

I have moved since applying for housing. How do I update the information on my housing application?
You can update your information online via a secure Application Update Form, or by completing and returning a PDF version of the form.

What exactly needs to be updated on my previously submitted housing application?
It’s very important that you keep your current mailing address on file with the GRHC. When your name reaches the top of our waiting list, you will be contacted by U.S. Mail at the address we have on file. Changes to family composition and income should also be reported.

How do I check the status of my housing application?
Please call our Waiting List Specialist at 616-232-2600; office hours are Monday–Friday 8 a.m.–noon and 1–5 p.m.

How long is the wait to rent family housing at Campau Commons or Creston Plaza Apartments?
The wait to rent at Campau Commons varies by unit size. Approximate current average wait times for applicants who currently live in Grand Rapids are:

one bedroom: seven years*

two bedrooms: four years

three bedrooms: two years

four bedrooms: two years

*Senior citizen, or disabled and over age 50.

How long is the wait to rent a retirement apartment?
The wait varies by development:
Leonard Terrace Apartments, Mount Mercy Apartments, Ransom Tower Apartments: 3-6 months
Sheldon Apartments: approximately 2 years.










Questions about the Section 8 Application Process and Section 8 Housing Choice Vouchers

How does the Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher program work?
The Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher program assists low-income households by paying private rental property owners a portion of the total rent. Qualified participants can transfer their rental assistance to other cities or areas of the country.

What are the current household income limits for the Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher program?

Family Size Maximum Annual Income
1 $24,500
2 $28,000
3 $31,500
4 $34,950
5 $37,750
6 $40,550
7 $43,350
8 $46,150
9 $48,950
10 $51,750
11 $54,550
12 $57,350

Is the Grand Rapids Housing Commission (GRHC) accepting new applicants to its Section 8 program?
The GRHC is not currently accepting new Section 8 applicants due to a lengthy existing waiting list. When the list reopens, we will advertise the open application period on our website and in local media.

I applied during the November 5-19, 2018, open application period. How can I confirm the status of my household’s Section 8 application?
The GRHC will conduct a computerized random lottery to select 5,000 applicants who will be added to our Section 8 waiting list. All Kent County households that applied during the application period will have an equal opportunity to be added to the waiting list. Placement of applicants on the list is also by random lottery. After the lottery is completed, you will find a "check your Section 8 application status" link here and under "Quick Links" on the GRHC website home page,

I recently applied for Section 8 at a different local housing authority. Does this mean I am on the Grand Rapids Section 8 waiting list?
No. There are several housing authorities that offer Section 8 programs in Kent County; these are all independently administered and do not share waiting lists.

I am currently on the GRHC Section 8 waiting list that was created in 2017. Will my position on the waiting list change as a result of the 2018 open enrollment period?
Your position on the list will not change as a result of the open enrollment period. The GRHC will exhaust the 2017 waiting list before we begin to serve those who applied November 5‑19, 2018.

I am currently on the Section 8 waiting list. How do I get information about my status on the list?
Please call the GRHC Waiting List Specialist at 616-235-2600. Office hours are Monday–Friday 8 a.m.–noon and 1–5 p.m.

NOTE: If you applied for Section 8 through another housing authority, you will need to contact that agency regarding the status of your application.

I currently live at an apartment complex that accepts Section 8. Does this mean I can get part of my rent paid by Section 8?
To receive a Section 8 rental subsidy, you must have applied for and been awarded a Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher.

If you are currently on our Section 8 waiting list, we will contact you by U.S. Mail at the time your name reaches the top of the list. If you are eligible for a Section 8 voucher at that time, the Section 8 program will pay a portion of the rent for the eligible housing of your choice. Please be sure to keep your mailing address updated as we will contact you at the address we have on file. You can update your application online via a secure Application Update Form, or click PDF version of the Application Update Form to download a printable version of the necessary paperwork.

Where can I find a listing of available Section 8 apartments?
The GRHC refers Section 8 clients to Michigan Housing Locator, a free online housing rental database provided by the Michigan State Housing Development Authority (MSHDA).

I own rental property. Where can I get information about participating in the Section 8 program?
Please click Information for Property Owners to view a page of our website that offers Section 8 information of interest to rental property owners.

I own rental property. Can I list available Section 8 rental units with the GRHC?
The GRHC does not maintain a listing of available rental properties. We refer property owners who want to list their units to Michigan Housing Locator, a free rental listing/search database operated by the Michigan State Housing Development Authority (MSHDA).